Original Research ARTICLE
Engineered Nanostructured Materials for Ofloxacin delivery
- 1Chemistry Department, Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
- 2Departamento de Química da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
- 3BIOSCOPE Group, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
- 4BIOSCOPE Group, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal
- 5Dipartimento di Chimica, Università degli Studi di Bologna, Italy
- 6Scientific and Technological Research Assistance Centre (CACTI), University of Vigo, Spain
- 7Departamento de Genética e Biotecnologia, Escola de Vida e Ciências Ambientais, University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, Portugal
- 8Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, Portugal
- 9LAQV Rede de Química e Tecnologia, Portugal
- 10Escola de Ciências Agrárias e Veterinárias, Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, Portugal
- 11Área de Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Universidad de La Rioja, Spain
Antibiotic resistance is emerging as a growing worldwide problem and finding solutions to this issue is becoming a new challenge for scientists. As the development of new drugs slowed down, advances in nanotechnology offer great opportunities, with the possibility of designing new systems for carrying, delivery and administration of drugs already in use. Engineered combinations of the synthetic, broad-spectrum antibiotic ofloxacin, rarely studied in this field, with different types of silver, mesoporous silica-based and Pluronic/silica-based nanoparticles have been explored. The nanocarriers as silver core@silica mesoporous (AgMSNPs) and dye-doped silica nanoparticles functionalized with ofloxacin were synthesized and their antibacterial properties studied against S. aureus and E. coli. The best antibacterial results were obtained for the AgMSNPs nanosystem@ofloxacin for the strain S. aureus ATCC 25923, with MIC and MIB values of 5 µg/mL and 25 µg/mL, proving the efficacy and synergetic effect of the antibiotic and the Ag core of the nanoparticles.
Keywords: mesoporous silica, Silver nanopartcles, Ofloxacin, Bacteria, antibiotics
Received: 21 Aug 2018;
Accepted: 29 Oct 2018.
Edited by:Xiaomin Li, Fudan University, China
Reviewed by:Chun Xu, The University of Queensland, Australia
Teng Long, Renji Hospital, Shanghai JiaoTong University School of Medicine, China
Copyright: © 2018 Lodeiro, Nuti, Javier, Del Secco, Rampazzo, Rodríguez-González, Capelo, Silva, Igrejas, Poeta, Torres, Zaccheroni, Prodi and Oliveira. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.
Dr. Carlos Lodeiro, Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Chemistry Department, Almada, 2829-516, Caparica, Portugal, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Luca Prodi, Dipartimento di Chimica, Università degli Studi di Bologna, Bologna, 40126, Emilia-Romagna, Italy, email@example.com
Dr. Elisabete D. Oliveira, BIOSCOPE Group, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Caparica, Portugal, firstname.lastname@example.org