Corrigendum: Borealization of the Arctic Ocean in Response to Anomalous Advection From Sub-Arctic Seas
- 1International Arctic Research Center and College of Natural Science and Mathematics, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, United States
- 2Finnish Meteorological Institute, Helsinki, Finland
- 3Polar Science Center, Applied Physics Lab and School of Oceanography, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, United States
- 4Department of Arctic and Marine Biology UiT - the Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø, Norway
- 5Institute of Ocean Sciences, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Sidney, BC, Canada
- 6Institute of Marine Research, Fram Centre, Tromsø, Norway
- 7College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, United States
- 8SINTEF Ocean AS, Trondheim, Norway
- 9Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
- 10Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden
- 11Institute of Marine Research, Bergen, Norway
- 12International Arctic Research Center, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK, United States
by Polyakov, I. V., Alkire, M. B., Bluhm, B. A., Brown, K. A., Carmack, E. C., Chierici, M., et al. (2020). Front. Mar. Sci. 7:491. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2020.00491
In the original article, there was an error. The description of the method used to calculate the depth of the lower boundary of the halocline is not complete. “This algorithm is used in Figures 12, 13. The depth of the 0°C isotherm defines the total halocline base depth; it is used in all other figures where the depth of the halocline base is required (Figures 7, 8, 14, 15 and Supplementary Figure 7).” was missing from the original description.
A correction has been made to Methods, Sub-section a. Methods in physical observations, Sub-section Halocline Base Depth:
“For each CTD and ITP profile the lower halocline boundary is defined following Bourgain and Gascard (2011) who show that the density ratio Rρ = (α∂θ/∂z)/(β∂S/∂z) = 0.05 (α is the thermal expansion coefficient and β is the haline contraction coefficient, θ is potential temperature and S is salinity) may be used to identify the cold halocline base depth. This algorithm is used in Figures 12, 13. The depth of the 0°C isotherm defines the total halocline base depth; it is used in all other figures where the depth of the halocline base is required (Figures 7, 8, 14, 15 and Supplementary Figure 7).”
The authors apologize for this error and state that this does not change the scientific conclusions of the article in any way. The original article has been updated.
Keywords: Arctic ocean, climate change, atlantification and pacification, multidisciplinary changes, future projections
Citation: Polyakov IV, Alkire MB, Bluhm BA, Brown KA, Carmack EC, Chierici M, Danielson SL, Ellingsen I, Ershova EA, Gårdfeldt K, Ingvaldsen RB, Pnyushkov AV, Slagstad D and Wassmann P (2021) Corrigendum: Borealization of the Arctic Ocean in Response to Anomalous Advection From Sub-Arctic Seas. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:667007. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.667007
Received: 12 February 2021; Accepted: 15 February 2021;
Published: 17 March 2021.
Edited and reviewed by: Dorte Krause-Jensen, Aarhus University, Denmark
Copyright © 2021 Polyakov, Alkire, Bluhm, Brown, Carmack, Chierici, Danielson, Ellingsen, Ershova, Gårdfeldt, Ingvaldsen, Pnyushkov, Slagstad and Wassmann. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.
*Correspondence: Igor V. Polyakov, firstname.lastname@example.org