Impact Factor 3.113 | CiteScore 3.03
More on impact ›

Original Research ARTICLE Provisionally accepted The full-text will be published soon. Notify me

Front. Med. | doi: 10.3389/fmed.2019.00235

Characteristics of Hospitalized Rhinovirus-Associated Community-Acquired Pneumonia in Children, Finland, 2003–2014

 Maria Hartiala1*,  Elina Lahti1, 2, Ville Forsström1, Tytti Vuorinen3,  Olli Ruuskanen1 and Ville Peltola1
  • 1Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Turku University Hospital, Finland
  • 2Child and Adolescent Clinic, City of Turku Welfare Division, Finland
  • 3Department of Virology and Clinical Virology, University of Turku and Turku University Hospital, Finland

Background: Rhinovirus (RV) is the most common cause of respiratory tract infections in children but, still, the clinical characteristics of RV-associated pneumonia have not been sufficiently investigated.

Methods: We identified children and adolescents younger than 18 years of age treated for community-acquired pneumonia as inpatients at the Turku University Hospital from 2003 through 2014 and analyzed for RV by PCR of a respiratory tract specimen. We collected the data from medical records and compared RV-positive children with RV-negative children.

Results: Of the study population of 313 children with pneumonia who were studied for RV, it was detected in 82 (26%). RV-positive children were younger (median age 2.6 years, interquartile range [IQR] 1.1–4.6 vs. 3.5 years, IQR 1.7–8.3, p = 0.002) and they had more often a history of preterm birth (16% vs. 5%, adjusted odds ratio 2.89, 95% confidence interval 1.21–6.92, p = 0.017) than RV-negative children. RV-positive children had a higher median white blood cell count than RV-negative children at presentation with pneumonia. The signs, symptoms, and severity of pneumonia were mostly similar in RV-positive and RV-negative children.

Conclusions: RV was frequently detected in young children hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia. We identified premature birth as a factor associated with RV-positive pneumonia. The clinical features of pneumonia did not clearly differ between RV-positive and RV-negative children. Further studies are needed to clarify the clinical significance of detection of RV in children with pneumonia.

Keywords: Children, Inflammatory markers, Pneumonia, Respiratory tract infection (RTI), Rhinovirus (RV)

Received: 13 Feb 2019; Accepted: 07 Oct 2019.

Copyright: © 2019 Hartiala, Lahti, Forsström, Vuorinen, Ruuskanen and Peltola. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.

* Correspondence: Mrs. Maria Hartiala, Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland, mkhonk@utu.fi