We are seeking a driven and target-oriented professional for the full-time position of a Journal Manager located in our London office. The Journal Manager is responsible for managing a portfolio of new Physical Sciences & Engineering journal and section launches and will line-manage a small team of Journal Specialists.
Under the guidance of a Program Manager and working closely with members across multiple Editorial Teams, the Journal Manager role requires the ability to inspire across all levels, be a trusted advisor for internal and external stakeholders and arrive at solution-oriented approaches to deliver scalable growth. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and ideally work experience within academic publishing, which will enable them to effectively engage with high-profile scholars and be an effective team manager and interface with other departments.
Application deadline: 29th March 2019
- Manage a portfolio of new journals and sections and monitor the teams’ progress towards defined targets and objectives; identifying shortcomings, proposing improvements and new strategies, as well as implementing them;
- Drive journal launch through overseeing editor engagement, article collections and section launches informed by competitor and market analysis
- Represent the company to external stakeholders and promote the portfolio at international conferences
- Manage and lead a team of Journal Specialists: responsible for their training and providing continuous development as well as performance feedback and appraisals; primary escalation point for higher-level issues encountered by their team.
- Work with the Program Manager – Journal Launch to ensure policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines are updated to guide employee actions most efficiently;
- Collaborate with internal departments to ensure efficiency and scalability of journal launch operations
- Reports to the Program Manager – Journal Launch
- At least 2 years of experience working in a scientific publishing house, and/or strong equivalent project management experience;
- Strong academic Physical sciences / Engineering background preferable;
- At least 1 year of management experience;
- Initiative taking, dynamic and focused personality;
- Flawless communication in written and spoken English;
- Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations;
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines;
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders;
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software (particularly MS Excel);
- A working knowledge of common social networks and social media platforms
- 25 days' vacation per year
- Participation into Frontiers annual bonus scheme
- Professional development partnership with Coursera for all
- Plenty of social & fun benefits!
- Christmas party, summer barbecue, monthly happy hour
- Fruits & snacks in the kitchen as well as much tea & coffee as you like
- In-house well-being activities including free weekly yoga
- A huge variety of self-organized activities from ski trips and football to French club