About this Research Topic
The purpose of this Research Topic Issue is to discuss all these aspects of bone interactions with other tissues, both inside-out (from bone cells to other organs) and outside-in (from other cells/tissues to bone cells). Articles should address the above-mentioned aspects of bone biology, within the categories listed below. However, authors are encouraged to submit manuscript that will address some aspect of the interactions of bone with other tissues not comprised within the following categories.
1. Regulation of mesenchymal stem cell differentiation
2. Direct versus indirect effects of mechanical stimulation in bone (by indirect, I mean the potential contribution of skeletal muscle and nervous system to the effect of mechanical stimulation on bone)
3. regulation of osteoclast differentiation and activity
4. effect of resorption-released products on other organs (TGFβ and muscle, for example)
5. Regulation of osteoblast differentiation and activity
6. Effect of osteoblastic products on other organs
7. Role of the digestive track (including microbiome) on the control of bone mass and strength.
8. Inflammation and bone
9. Control of osteocyte differentiation
10. Role of osteocytic products on other organs
Reviews, hypothesis and theory, and original research articles are welcome.
Keywords: Osteoblast, Osteocyte, Osteoclast, Bone Mass, Homeostasis
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.