About this Research Topic
The development of intelligent data, image, and video analysis systems has experienced a significant boost in recent years thanks to the emergence of a machine learning paradigm known as deep learning (DL) and the availability of low-cost hardware to run neural networks efficiently. DL algorithms have enabled the development of highly accurate systems and have become a standard choice for analyzing different types of data. Dozens of applications using deep learning to analyze, classify, segment, measure, and recognize content from different modalities of data are currently available. Researchers in industry, public sector, and academia have published hundreds of scientific contributions in this area during the last year alone. These, in turn, facilitate the advent of intelligent systems for a wide spectrum of applications - from decision support systems to cognitive systems that enable efficient human-machine interaction and collaboration - in industry, robotics, health, automation, and assistive technology, to name a few.
This Research Topic provides a forum for the discussion of the impact of deep learning on research, multimodal interactions and processes, as well as intelligent systems. The aim for this focused issue is to share novel scientific contributions in the area of deep learning for multimodal analysis.
Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):
• Novel approaches for classification, object classification, localization, object detection, segmentation, time series analysis and classification (e.g., videos and sensor data) and registration using DL;
• Content-Based Retrieval (CBIR) of data (sensors, text, images, video, music, audio, etc., going beyond spatial dimension including also time) using DL;
• Content understanding using DL such as convolutional and recurrent neural networks, etc.;
• Perception and anticipation - such as activity recognition and prediction, scene recognition, multisensory perception, action and behavior prediction - using deep learning;
• Human Machine interaction and collaboration using DL;
Cognitive systems using DL, or DL combined with other Machine Learning methods;
• Data generation, fusion, and enhancement methods using DL;
• Multimodal analysis using DL;
• Applications of DL in medicine, social sciences, autonomous systems, intelligent systems, emotion recognition etc.
Authors are invited to submit their original contributions or review/surveys before the deadline following the submission guidelines.
Keywords: deep learning, algorithms, applied deep learning, intelligent systems, multimodal systems, applications
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.