About this Research Topic
Organic compounds demonstrate excellent physicochemical features. Their synthesis has developed into one of the most important branches of organic chemistry. Important features of organic compounds, such as solution processability, tunable electronic properties, low-temperature manufacture, as well as cheap and light materials, give them significant potential in different fields of science and technology. One such application is renewable energy generated by solar cells, a potential solution to maintaining the energy supply. Among several photovoltaic technologies, organic photovoltaics (OPVs) remain advantageous due to low material toxicity, low cost, and environmental impact. Among different OPVs, organic solar cells (OSCs) have the potential to be part of the next generation of low-cost solar cells.
Organic compounds with special molecular design have recently been utilized for their beneficial tunable optical and structural properties. The goal of this Research Topic is to be the reference point for advances in the synthesis, design, and structural characterization of new organic compounds for organic solar cell applications. Our goal is for the readership to gain a greater understanding of advances in promising organic compounds.
We aim for this Research Topic to provide insight into the synthesis, design, and characterization of novel organic molecules for organic solar cell applications. As such, we welcome submissions of Original Research and Review articles on the following topics:
• New synthetic strategies to produce a high yield of selected organic compounds with completely defined chemical structures and with enhanced homogeneity and purity
• Computational modelling and simulation to optimize chemical and structure selection for specific functionalities of organic compounds
• Organic compounds of high purity with completely controlled microstructures for OSC applications
• Combination of low- and high-molar mass organic molecules with inorganics toward unique functionalities
• Aggregates of organic compounds at the nanometer scale as new opportunities for material functionality
• Applications of organic compounds for the fabrication of organic solar cells
Keywords: organic materials, synthesis, design, modelling, organic solar cells
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.