About this Research Topic
Recently, there have been significant advances in the synergism and antagonism effects of binary mixed surfactants. Foam efficiency optimization has been a point of interest, especially when subjected to high salinity, by designing experiments to investigate synergism and antagonism of foamer formulations containing different surfactants. Different types of surfactants such as cationic, anionic, and nonionic surfactants, as well as binary mixed surfactants in different ratios have been investigated in both pure distilled water and saltwater. The critical micelle concentration (CMC) of each surfactant solution, as well as of binary mixed surfactants, has been obtained by surface tension, conductivity, density, viscosity, as well as UV-vis measurements. Rubingh's theory and its modification have been employed to determine the CMC of binary mixed surfactants. The synergism/antagonism in binary surfactants can be well explained by the chemical nature of individual surfactants and their ability to lower the CMC. Cationic/anionic, anionic/nonionic and cationic/nonionic surfactants are expected to form synergistic or antagonistic interactions.
The goal of this Research Topic is to report novel concepts of using surfactants and mixed surfactants to study synergistic and antagonistic interactions and their impact on foamability and stability. We aim to explore the design of the ratio of mixed surfactants, including systematic studies on the variation of physicochemical properties of single surfactants and their mixtures. This Research Topic will:
• highlight the current achievements in the interactions of mixed surfactants,
• collect new insights on the effect parameter design has on their properties and behavior in solution,
• address challenges and outline the proper tool to optimize foam efficiency appropriate for enhanced oil recovery and other applications in high salinity conditions.
We are soliciting contributions in the form of Original Research articles that report fundamental research findings on:
• novel molecular design of mixed surfactants.
• interactions of mixed surfactants with the help of DFT calculations.
• solution behavior and molecular interactions.
• molecular dynamics simulations studies of mixed surfactants.
Keywords: mixed surfactants, synergism, antagonism, critical micelle concentration, foam efficiency
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.