About this Research Topic
The global society faces a pressing challenge to ensure sustainable supply of material and energy resources while minimizing detrimental impact on ecosystems and human health. Simultaneously, the current global production and consumption model is highly linear and responsible for some of the pressing environmental problems that humanity is facing. An alternative to the linear economy, that is quickly gaining traction from academia and industry, is Circular Economy (CE), which aims to create a transformational shift by turning materials and products at the end of their useful service life as resources for other goods and services, slowing and/or closing material loops, and simultaneously reducing extraction of virgin resources and waste generation. Developing a truly circular economy will require holistic systems-based thinking and approaches to exploit its full advantages and avoid unintended negative consequences. Furthermore, it will require transdisciplinary thinking to bridge disciplinary boundaries.
The present Research Topic on “Circular Economy” seeks to advance our understanding of current state of circular economy research and practice and emerging frameworks for enabling transition towards a circular economy through chemical engineering.
We invite submissions of Original Research articles that focus on significant research contributions, and Review articles describing opportunities and challenges for Circular Economy. We welcome article submissions covering topics including, but not limited to:
1. Systems-level approaches for circular economy
2. Business models and other emerging paradigms for circular economy
3. Supply chain design for circular economy
4. Current status of circular economy including investigation of existing and emerging paradigms
5. Circular economy opportunities for process industries
6. Sustainability metrics for circular economy
7. Environmental impacts of circular economy
8. National and international perspectives, case studies, opportunities, and challenges
9. Technological, social, behavioral, engineering, and policy solutions for circular economy
Keywords: circular economy, systems thinking, process industry, sustainability, environmental impacts
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.