About this Research Topic
The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), constitutes one of the greatest challenges for global health. Although children account for less than 2% of total COVID-19 cases, the disease has displayed a broad impact on children's health for the heterogeneity in the clinical manifestations and immune response, as it has also profoundly affected children with chronic disorders. Treatment of inherited disorders of the immune system, as well as diseases of the respiratory tract, renal diseases, and rheumatological disorders can be affected by SARS-CoV-2 infection in children.
This Research Topic intends to provide a forum for pediatricians who have identified novel areas of pediatric health or children's conditions that have been affected by the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic. In addition, this Research Topic will be open to contributions that reveal novel manifestations of SARS-CoV-2 infection in children and can give an insight into the pathogenesis of the disease in children.
For this Research Topic, we will consider full research articles describing original findings, or review articles providing an original perspective in the knowledge of SARS-CoV-2 infection in childhood. Case reports are also welcome, if they provide a meaningful understanding of disease features.
Research articles contribution can include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following research themes:
• Heterogeneity of manifestations of SARS-CoV-2 infection in children
• In pediatric nephrology: managing dialysis patients, the renin-angiotensin system, AKI, hyponatremia, guidelines for allowing renal transplantation
• SARS-CoV-2 in children with liver disease
• SARS-CoV-2 infection in children receiving immunosuppressive treatment
• The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in pediatric transplantation programs
• SARS-CoV-2 infection in newborns and infants
• Outcome of COVID-19 in children with inherited disorders: from metabolic diseases to immune defects
• The impact of treatment with biological immunotherapy of SARS-CoV-2 infection outcome in children
• Kawasaki and rheumatological diseases during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic
• Treatments of COVID-19 in children
• SARS-CoV-2 and the gastrointestinal tract in children
• The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on pediatric clinical research
• COVID-19 in children with chronic respiratory diseases
• Immune responses to SARS-CoV2 in children.
Keywords: SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19, pandemic, children, pediatric
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.