About this Research Topic
Given the increasing importance of megaprojects, there is an urgent need for a better understanding of megaprojects’ impact on and their relationship with the economy, society and environment. Megaprojects are large-scale and ambitious infrastructure undertakings, which involve complicated impacts along its various phases such as investment, development, design, construction, and operation. In addition, it’s important to consider factors such as climate change, technological innovation, large-scale epidemic outbreaks, globalization entering a new stage, as well as other new situations that continue to emerge. These issues show that megaprojects can not only make huge impacts at local, regional, and even international scale but can also be significantly affected by the complex project environment. It is inevitable that megaprojects can create opportunities for economic revitalization and technological innovation for the sustainable built environment.
The main focus of this Research Topic is to present advances in the understanding of the implications of megaprojects for the economy, society and environment from various dimensions, including:
• Megaproject driven economic revitalization after the COVID-19 epidemic;
• Megaprojects led profound change to the natural environment;
• Integration of ICT infrastructures in megaprojects in the digital era;
• The influence of megaprojects to local communities and the society;
• Resilience of megaprojects to natural disasters;
• The implementation of global megaprojects under the new globalization.
Our goal is to re-examine megaprojects in the new context of a broader and more interdisciplinary perspective. Indicative themes under this Research Topic include but are not limited to:
• Construction management in megaproject delivery
• Best practice and lessons learned from megaproject development
• Megaprojects and the economy
• Emerging challenges to international megaprojects
• Resilience of mega infrastructure
• Megaprojects and the environment
• Megaprojects and artificial intelligence
• Megaprojects and social responsibility
• Risk management in megaproject delivery
• Megaprojects and sustainability
• High-speed railway projects
Permission to use the cover image has been provided by the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Authority.
Dr. YanLiang Niu from Shijiazhuang Tiedao University is an Advisory Guest Editor and has greatly contributed to the development of this collection.
Keywords: Megaproject, Economy, Environment, Society, Infrastructure
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.