About this Research Topic
Modern power systems are one of the prime applications of Cyber-physical systems. They provide a smart integration to the power generation units and bi-directional power technology. This adaptive integration ensures a cost-effective route with comparatively low losses, improved levels of power quality, and cyber-physical security. This is validated by effective monitoring and control schemes.
However, the main tool, which holds the efficacy of these sustainable power systems, is the internet. The internet promoted the utilization of Synchrophasor measurements for wide-area monitoring applications to enable system operators to acquire real-time grid information. However, this opens a door towards vulnerability of sustainable power systems and questioning the reliability of power transmission networks. Moreover, the development of a smarter electric grid will depend on increased deployments of information and communication technology to support novel communication and control functions, which could also open a channel for intrusion of potential risk of cyber-attacks. To act upon these situations adequately, infrastructures and methods are required to be developed which could enhance the resilience of these modern power systems.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
• Modeling of cyber-physical Infrastructure in power systems;
• Power grid resilience against cyber-attacks;
• Vulnerabilities of power grid towards intrusion and system integrity;
• Monitoring, estimation and control for cyber-attacks;
• Infrastructure of industrial control systems (ICS) towards power grid resilience;
• Infrastructure of information and communication technology (ICT) towards power grid resilience;
• Cyber-physical infrastructure of vehicle-to-grid technology;
• Cyber-physical infrastructure of energy storage systems;
• Cyber-physical infrastructure of distributed generation;
• Cyber-physical infrastructure of renewable energy systems;
• Cyber-physical infrastructure of micro and DC grids.
Keywords: Cyber-Physical Systems, Cyber-Security, Dynamic Vulnerability Assessments (DVA), Phasor Measurement Unit (PMU), Situational Awareness, Synchrophasor, Wide Area Monitoring Protection and Control Systems (WAMPACS)
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.