About this Research Topic
Anaerobic digestion is a key technology for the metabolism of biological materials in a context of circular economy, and a primary step to prolong carbon value and chemical content of digestate. However, despite the high maturity of this technique few articles integrate the benefits/ applications of biogas systems for the development of circular strategies globally, whether in urban or rural areas. There is therefore a need to gather good quality information covering recent developments to support biogas systems integration in energy systems worldwide, covering new organic waste streams and bioresources as feedstocks, process technology – low tech and high tech, biogas energy utilization and biogas and digestate industrial metabolic synergies.
This Research Topic aims to publish the most recent developments and research works related to the biogas value chain, offering updated solutions or guidance for an integration of biogas in energy systems whether in urban and rural areas. The aim of this Research Topic is to re-focus the role of anaerobic digestion as a key technology in the transition to Circular Economy and Bioeconomy. Emphasis in the fundamentals and applications of the current and emerging anaerobic technologies along with the description of the design, operation, and product valorisation is also a challenge for paper submission.
In this Research Topics we will discuss the most updated advances in the role of biogas value chain within the circular economy transition: (i) feedstock management;; (ii) anaerobic digestion technologies, (iii) use and upgrading of biogas, and (iv) digestate valorisation/integration as a secondary raw material for economic activities.
Considering a priority for the discussion and development of the topics introduced above, submissions should cover promising, recent, and novel research trends in the following issues:
• Biogas integration in energy systems (centralised or decentralised) in urban and rural areas with the most recent data and projections.
• Better energy efficiency and energy production yields contributing to a successful and quick energy transition.
• Promoting synergies between the biogas value chain and other value chains supporting a Circular Bioeconomy.
• Solutions adopted in different geographical regions, as they can work as a major player to the success of the biogas integration.
• New findings and ideasto harmonize the concept of biowastes and bioresources valorisation coming from diverse technological approaches.
The editors encourage submissions of original research articles, perspectives, industrial and country/region case studies, and review articles that cover (but not limited to) the following topics:
1. Feedstock management for optimisation of biogas production (circular strategy approach; logistics and availability; low cost pre-treatment technologies).
2. Co-digestion as a symbiotic strategy to link biogas value chain with other value chains and to improve biogas yield.
3. Optimization of anaerobic digestion technologies (High- tech vs low-tech solutions; Process design for biogas yield improvement).
4. Biogas use (Direct use; Conditioning and upgrading solutions; Integration in energy systems and other value chains).
5. Digestate circularity (New strategies for digestate valorisation; Energy and material synergies in agriculture and industrial value chains; special emphasis for phosphorus).
Keywords: Biowastes;, Bioresources, Biogas value chain;, Circular economy;, Digestate synergies;, Energy systems integration;, Urban and rural areas
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.