About this Research Topic
The advent of connected vehicles and automated driving is transforming the requirements for modeling and operation of urban and motorway traffic systems. The traditional models and methods for simulation, management and control traffic systems do not completely fit this new scenario that is emerging for transport systems. Thus, the need for new models and a new look at controller design is urgent.
This research topic focuses on advances of traffic flow modelling for urban networks and motorways, traffic flow control enabled by the recent and expected advances in connected vehicle technology and automated driving. There is particular interest, but not limited to, on the following topics:
- Urban and Motorway macroscopic traffic flow models for connected and automated vehicles
- Urban and Motorway microscopic traffic flow models for connected and automated vehicles
- Models for mixed traffic scenarios
- Models for control design
- Models for state estimation
- Road-based traffic control
- Vehicle-based traffic control
- Estimation methods for motorway traffic
Keywords: Traffic Flow Modelling, Traffic Flow Control, Motorway, Urban Networks, Connected Vehicles, Automated Driving
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.