About this Research Topic
Nanomaterials are either natural or synthetic with a plethora of applications. In recent times, nanomaterials have gained significant research interest in the delivery of novel functionalities for tailored biomedical applications. In particular, metal and metal oxide nanomaterials are under extensive research for theranostic applications, such as targeted therapy, drug delivery, medical imaging, biosensing, and disease diagnosis. However, the development of stable metal and metal oxide nanomaterials or nanoparticles for biomedical application faces significant physicochemical and biological challenges relating to synthesis, stabilization, dispersion, and cytotoxicity, and this has slowed progress in the clinical success of metal and metal oxide nanomaterials.
This Research Topic seeks to create the platform that will stimulate recent advances that focus on the development of new and improved metal and metal oxide nanomaterials for enhanced theranostic applications.
Contributions to this Research Topic in the form of Original Research or Review articles may include, but are not limited to, the following topics:
• Strategies to enhance the properties of metal and metal oxide nanomaterials for theranostic applications
• Metal and metal oxide nanomaterials based drug formulations for targeted delivery
• Advanced theranostic applications of metal and metal oxide nanomaterials
• Computational analysis of the properties of metal and metal oxide nanomaterials in biomedical applications
• Metal and metal oxide nanomaterials for biomedical imaging
• Metal and metal oxide nanomaterials for biosensing and disease diagnosis
• Cytotoxicity assessment of metal and metal oxide nanomaterials
• Clinical evaluation of metal and metal oxide nanomaterials
We would like to acknowledge Dr. Jaison Jeevanandam as the Research Topic Co-ordinator for this article collection.
Prof. Sundaramurthy holds a patent on 'Polymer Coated Metal Grid'. All other Topic Editors declare no competing interests with regard to the Research Topic subject.
Keywords: Metal Nanoparticles, Metal Oxides, Drug Delivery, Therapeutics, Diagnosis
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.