About this Research Topic
The energy transformation, including the transition to a low-carbon economy, is an important challenge and development direction for European countries, especially Central and Eastern Europe. Due to historical events and small resources of energy resources such as crude oil and natural gas in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe, the diversification of energy sources and the development of renewable energy sources are key issues from the point of view of energy security. The energy transformation is associated with changes in a field of energy production, evolution in energy consumption and improvement of energy efficiency. It is important both to undertake fragmented activities in these areas and the creation of cooperation structures between the countries of the Central and Eastern Europe region. Due to a wide range of recipients of reports from this Research Topic (including researchers, knowledge and data managers, decision-makers and regulators), the articles may include theoretical aspects of the development of energy markets and systems; energy mix optimization models; directions of energy policy; proposals to optimize environmental regulations regarding the energy sector in the spatial scope indicated in the title.
The last few years have been a time of slow transition from conventional energy raw materials to less carbon-intensive technologies. EU obligations force countries of Central and Eastern Europe to more quickly reduce environmentally unacceptable methods of energy production. The energy transformation, which will have to accelerate in the coming years, will face many economic and social problems. New ecological methods of energy production must be analyzed. The most efficient renewable energy sources should also be selected, and the energy transmission and storage systems should be adapted to new solutions.
Potential topics for the Research can include, but are not limited to:
• Production, transmission and storage of clean energy
• The development potential of the low-carbon industry
• Economic determinants of GHG and harmful emissions reduction into the air
• Research and innovative solutions in the energy sector
• Problems of rural areas during the energy transformation
• Analysis of low-emission energy technologies
• Adaptation of the energy management system to changes in technical and economic environments
• Analysis of legal and regulatory solutions during the transition to a low-carbon economy
• Good practices and transfer of knowledge in the energy sector
Keywords: low carbon development, economy, energy, ecology, emission reduction
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.