About this Research Topic
Psychiatric pathology defines a biological disease as a psychological dysfunction and a social construct. Research has shown a clear structural vulnerability of the individual and that environmental stressors act on this. In the last year, there has been an upheaval in human society with the manifestation of the effects of the SARS-CoV-2, which has made difficult not only prescriptions regarding Covid-19, but any afferent to care, including mental health care, has been subject to difficulties rarely experienced before; these aspects have been and are currently the subject of extensive and intensive studies.
The effects of the Virus are primarily immunological and respiratory, but it is now clear that the whole body is involved in various ways. At the moment, we still do not know how Sars-CoV-2 can modify the neuron and other brain structures, particularly in the Long-Covid-Syndrome, while the clinical responses due to the direct and indirect action of the Virus are under examination. This research topic aims to examine, evaluate and discuss the different biological aspects following Covid-19 infection and how these changes may affect psychiatric disorders;
Contributors are welcome to use the formats of an original research article, brief research report, systematic review, review, mini-review, policy and practice review, hypothesis and theory, perspective, case report, community case study, general commentary, or opinion. Studies addressing the following themes are strongly encouraged:
• Biological aspects and their consequential changes in psychiatric disorders after the pandemic
• Neuroprogression and psychiatric disorders after Covid infection
• Potential biomarkers related to psychiatric disorders and Covid-19
• Psychiatric patients affected by Covid-19: are any differences detectable by Neuroimaging?
• Comparison of BDNF levels in psychiatric patients before and after Covid-19 infection.
• Gut microbiota and Covid-19. Any detectable changes and correlations with symptoms and course of psychopathology
Keywords: Covid-19, Psychiatric Disorders, Biomarkers, Predictors, Pandemic
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.