About this Research Topic
Computational models are mathematical models used to numerically simulate the behavior of real world complex systems. A computational model can be used to make predictions of the nuclear power plant's behavior under various conditions, often for cases in which intuitive analytical solutions are not available. With the rapid improvement, development and deployment of advanced nuclear technologies, higher requirement in accuracy, resolution, multi-physics coupled computing methods with super robustness, reliability and low computational cost became a key aspect to support the entire nuclear power plant design, safety analysis, construction, operating and decommission phase. Continued development and application of innovative numerical and computational methodologies will further improve the capability of existing numerical tools used in the nuclear industry.
To foster the development of new generations of nuclear technologies as well as scientists, innovative numerical methods applied to complex systems and new understanding of the underling theories related to more efficient, more powerful and reliable code predictions are desired. This reach topic aims to provide an active and updated platform for the most advanced computational methodologies (including theories, methods, models, frameworks, etc.) developed and applied to the nuclear industry. Themes of interest include, but are not limited to:
1. Numerical solver, computational method development, code development and application
2. Artificial intelligence, (supervised, semi-supervised, un-supervised machine learning) data-driven methodologies with nuclear applications
3. High performance computing methodologies, massively parallel computational methods for fluid flow and radiation transport problems.
4. Autonomous control and digital twin for NPPs.
5. Multi-scale multi-physics simulation for existing and advanced nuclear technologies
6. Uncertainty quantification, sensitivity analysis and optimization
7. System and subchannel analysis code
8. Computational fluid dynamics
9. Other applications related to Numerical Methods and Computational Sciences
Keywords: Numerical methods, Computational science, Modeling and simulation, High performance computing, Uncertainty quantification, Artificial intelligence
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.