About this Research Topic
Despite the fact that a lot of research has been done on the use of biomass in energy production and many technologies have already been implemented, there are still issues to be addressed to achieve the maximum benefits in production and utilization biofuels in shape of biogas, biomethane and green-hydrogen. There are challenges related to the availability of biomass and their diversity, non-pollution and economically viable processes of biomass conversion into energy, integrated assessment of economic, environmental and social aspects of the bioenergy system, suitable analytical tools to evaluate the bioenergy impacts in GHG mitigation. This Research Topic article collection aims to collect research papers in technology development, their potential use, limits and future prospects.
This Special Issue aims to highlight the recent advances in biomass conversion into energy. It focuses on new technological solutions, researches and challenges in bioenergy production, biofuels economic analysis of this solutions and their environmental impact, impact on GHG emissions, exploration of new substrates for biofuel production and their pre-treatment processes, as well as its application and storage.
We welcome Original Research, Review, Mini Review and Perspective articles on themes including, but not limited to:
• Novel processes of biomass conversion into biogas, biomethane and green-hydrogen
• Advanced techniques of biomass conversion into biofuels (incl. pyrolysis, gasification and hydrothermal carbonization)
• Process optimization of biofuels generation (incl. enzymatic decomposition of biomass)
• Advanced pretreatment technologies in upgrading of biogas to biomethane quality (incl. novel biochar-based adsorbents)
• New substrates for biofuel production
• Latest bioenergy applications in fermentation technologies (incl. dark fermentation)
• New generation bioenergy (incl. processes and techniques)
• Biofuels & Environment: impacts and influence of biofuel production process on the environment
• Economic and technical analyses of biofuels production from waste
Keywords: waste-to-energy, biofuel, biogas, biomethane, green-hydrogen, sustainability
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.