About this Research Topic
Theranostic nano-bio-photonics means usage of nano photonic tools for biomedical therapy as well as biomedical diagnostics. This combined multidisciplinary direction is fast devolving both within academic research centers as well as in industrial commercialization related initiatives. The special focus of our proposed Research Topic will be the implementation of recently developed theranostic nano-bio photonic technologies for wearable home-use devices and sensors implemented into jewelry and smart clothing.
This Research Topic welcomes papers in research areas including but not limited to the following topics:
The main important trend in the near future will include the development of smart nano sensors integrated into clothing (smart clothing) as well as into other wearable devices and will allow estimation of the bio-medical wellness condition of the wearer.
- Wearable nano technology biosensors
- Smart clothing
- Metamaterials (integration of “smart” meta materials into clothing)
- Nano plasmonics and nano sensors(nanometric bio sensors with improved sensitivity)
- Nano/ micro photonic devices and silicon photonics (design and fabrication of nanometric photonic device suitable for integration into wearable devices and clothing)
- Photonic Crystal Fibers (“Smart” fibers suitable for threading into clothing)
The capability of performing imaging is a special and important category within sensors. The image can be used for producing essential diagnostic information.
- Functional imaging with light (a method in of detecting changes in metabolism, blood flow, regional chemical composition, and absorption)
- Micro-endoscopy and OCT (imaging from inside the body via minimally invasive devices)
- Speckle based sensing and imaging (usage of elastography and imaging through scattering medium)
- Novel microscopy schemes and super resolution (resolution enhanced imaging that overcomes the diffraction limits)
- Photo-acoustic imaging
The development of nano technology will assist not only to sense but also to treat the detected mal functionality of the bio tissue using various photonic means:
- Applied theranostics (future theranostics applications for instance for treating cancerous tissues)
- Opto-genetics (injection of relevant genes and their activation via light)
- Light tissue interactions (studying the bio-chemical aspects of light and tissue interaction, photo-chemistry)
- Non-linear nano bio-optics (nonlinear effects such as Raman, Kerr, etc. in bio photonics applications, nonlinear optical imaging and stimulation of living cells, molecular non linear-optics)
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.