About this Research Topic
This Research Topic focuses on cellular and signaling pathway changes and mechanisms of intervertebral disc degeneration. We are also open to studies regarding potential molecular therapies and degeneration-related pain. Therefore, we welcome reviews (including mini-reviews) and original studies that deal with but are not limited to the following:
• Cellular mechanisms in IVD degeneration and related diseases, including cell proliferation, differentiation, metabolism, apoptosis, autophagy, endoplasmic reticulum stress, and cell signal transduction, gene expression and regulation;
• Specific molecular pathways that induce IVD degeneration and ageing;
• Potential therapeutic molecules to attenuate the progression of IVD cells degeneration and related diseases including discogenic neuropathic pain and its mechanisms;
• Novel or potential diagnostics and prognosis for IVD degeneration-related diseases;
• Bioengineering therapeutics for IVD degenerative diseases, including biomaterials and stem/progenitor cells;
• IVD degeneration models induced by apoptosis or autophagy of IVD cells.
Keywords: Intervertebral disc degeneration (IVD); Biomaterials; Molecular mechanisms and pathways; Bioengineering therapeutics; Bioinformatical analysis; IVD degeneration models
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.