About this Research Topic
The goal of this Research Topic, "Food and Immunity: Tackling the Diseases of the 21st Century," is to explore the intricate relationship between nutrition, immune function, and the prevention of non-communicable diseases. We aim to provide a comprehensive understanding of how dietary choices impact the human immune system and contribute to the rising burden of non-communicable diseases in the 21st century. By collating cutting-edge research, expert insights, and evidence-based studies, we seek to highlight the significance of a balanced and nutrient-rich diet in bolstering immune defenses and mitigating the risks of chronic illnesses. Ultimately, this will raise awareness among healthcare professionals, policymakers, and the general public, encouraging them to make informed dietary decisions that will foster better health outcomes and enhance global efforts in combatting the diseases of our time.
This Research Topic is associated with the International Conference held on 5th August 2023 by Research and Innovation Support for Higher Impact (RISHI). It welcomes researchers, scientists, nutritionists, and healthcare professionals to contribute their original research, review articles, and case studies that explore the intricate relationship between nutrition and immune function in relation to the treatment and prevention of non-communicable diseases.
Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
• Impact of specific nutrients (e.g., vitamins, minerals, antioxidants) on immune system function and health.
• Role of gut microbiota in immune modulation.
• Effect of various dietary patterns (e.g., Mediterranean diet, plant-based diets) on immune responses.
• Role of intermittent fasting on immunity.
• Evaluation of the immune-boosting potential of functional foods and nutraceuticals.
• Assessing the link between obesity, inflammation, and immune system dysfunction.
• Immune-related health disparities and the influence of dietary habits on vulnerable populations.
• Studies on the impact of food processing and preservation techniques on the nutritional value of foods and their immune benefits.
• Clinical trials and intervention studies focusing on dietary interventions to improve immune function and combat non-communicable diseases.
• Public health strategies and policies aimed at promoting better nutrition and immune health.
Keywords: Nutrition, Non-communicable diseases (NCDs), Immunity, Food, dietary patterns, functional foods, nutritional immunology, diet and immunity, immune health, immune system, immune modulation, Society Affiliation RT
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.