About this Research Topic
The functional beverage sector is a fast-growing market, especially given the awareness among consumers to select food products and drinks which help in the maintenance of health and wellness. Beverages, as compared with other types of food products, are easier to consume and prepare, hence their being more appreciated by those who lead a very hectic lifestyle. The most popular form of functional beverages is fermented ones since they are able to impart probiotic effects. Yoghurt drinks are also quite commonly consumed for this reason as well. Furthermore, plant products rich in bioactive phytochemicals also represent relevant sources of health- promoting beverages.
There is a plethora of research which cater to the development of novel functional beverages, their bioactive compounds and safety aspects. This Research Topic titled ‘Functional Beverages’ aims at providing a platform for the scientific community to present their research primarily on the following aspects:
• Development of novel functional beverages
• Characterization of the bioactive compounds in functional beverages
• In vitro, in vivo and clinical evaluation of the therapeutic properties of functional beverages
• Oral bioavailability of bioactives in functional beverages
• Beverages obtained through fermentation and evaluation of their functional properties
• Wine and beer production technology – research updates and evaluation of their health benefits
• Novel processing techniques for the development of functional beverages
• Reformulation of existing beverages to possess functional properties
• Functional beverages and their ability to impart weight loss and combat obesity
• Assessments and reports on the safety aspects of functional beverages
• Traditional beverages
• Sport and energy drinks
High quality Original Research and Review articles are solicited for this topic, focused on functional beverages with the ability and the potential of contributing to prevent many of the global pandemics.
Keywords: Fruit-and-vegetable-based beverages, Milk-based beverages, Alcoholic beverages, Tea and coffee, Bioactive phytochemicals
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.