Frontiers is a community-oriented open-access academic publisher and research network.
Our grand vision is to build an Open Science platform that empowers researchers in their daily work and where everybody has equal opportunity to seek, share and generate knowledge.
Frontiers is at the forefront of building the ultimate Open Science platform. We are driving innovations and new technologies around peer-review, article and author impact metrics, social networking for researchers, and a whole ecosystem of open science tools. We are the first – and only – platform that combines open-access publishing with research networking, with the goal to increase the reach of publications and ultimately the impact of articles and their authors.
Frontiers was launched as a grassroots initiative in 2007 by scientists from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, Switzerland, out of the collective desire to improve the publishing options and provide better tools and services to researchers in the Internet age. Since then, Frontiers has become the fastest-growing open-access scholarly publisher, with a rapidly growing number of community-driven journals, more than 25,000 of high-impact researchers across a wide range of academic fields serving on the editorial boards and more than 4 million monthly page views.
- – Community-driven journals, with more than 25,000 world-renowned scientists as editors;
- – “Gold” open access for all articles, under the CC-BY Creative Commons license – the least restrictive CC license;
- – Frontiers Peer-Review: rigorous, fair, constructive, transparent & efficient as enabled by our custom-built “Review Forum” web software;
- – Frontiers Impact Evaluation: article impact metrics for all publications;
- – Frontiers Tier-Climbing: high impact research articles "climb the tier" as "Focused Reviews" to reach a broader audience.
Read more about our publishing model.
- – Receives millions of monthly page views and contains the world’s leading researchers, academics and scholars.
- – Connects you with colleagues and researchers in your subject area;
- – Promotes and disseminates your research automatically for you – even without you doing anything;
- – Increases your impact – makes your articles go farther and faster;
- – Keeps you up-to-date with new publications, video lectures, conferences, workshops, science news and much more.
Our articles have been featured in the major news outlets, including:
Frontiers is proud to count several research institutions as supporters and has been featured in: