About this Research Topic
While significant progress has been made in the pharmacological management of psychiatric diseases in recent decades, high rates of poor compliance and significant genetic variability in the metabolism of central nervous system (CNS) drugs led to difficulties in the practical application of these treatments. One means of minimising and coping with these issues is the implementation of therapeutic drug monitoring (TDM) strategies. At present, the TDM of drugs and metabolites concentrations in biological fluids is the only means available for estimating brain levels, but despite the obvious limitations, it has proven to be of considerable value. In the era of precision medicine and personalised therapies, TDM is an irreplaceable and highly promising tool to benefit all the actors involved in clinical practice: patients, clinicians and the healthcare system as a whole.
The goal of this research topic is to bring together leading experts to present recent advances in the monitoring of patients under antipsychotic drug therapies. In particular, aspects from a clinical and practical point of view, together with analytical aspects, will give rise to a fruitful debate and greatly increase knowledge in the field. This Research Topic will highlight the benefits, advantages, limitations and challenges of current practices, also to be able to propose new and promising strategies and to infuse promising impulses towards cutting-edge strategies and to tackle current limitations. Through this collection, clinical experts and analytical researchers will contribute to a plethora of authoritative information and insights available to the scientific community to enhance the approaches to psychiatric drug therapies in relation to the various cases and needs.
Some suggested potential topics are the following:
• Development and application of analytical methodologies in Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
• Clinical utility of Therapeutic Drug Monitoring strategies
• Therapeutic Drug Monitoring in special populations (infants and children, pregnant women, the elderly, obese patients, critically ill patients, etc.)
• Therapeutic drug monitoring in alternative biological matrices
• Patient-centric approaches to Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
• Integrating Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and pharmacogenomics
• Altered drug disposition in patients with kidney disease, hepatic disease, critically ill patients, etc.
Keywords: Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, Drug Analysis, Metabolites, Psychiatric Disorders, Pharmacological Therapies
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.