About this Research Topic
Recent developments in the investigation of neurological disorders led to an enhanced focus on the role of the immune response in diseases of the nervous system. It is now known that there is a close interaction of the peripheral and central immune system with the nervous system and that disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, chronic neuropathic pain, or stroke are greatly impacted by immunity. Besides being purely a response to neurodegeneration, immune networks seem to play a major role in processes such as synaptic alterations, apoptotic signaling, pain perception, sickness behavior, and depression typically associated with neurological diseases. Next to the role of the immune system for disease development and maintenance, the role of immune responses for tissue regeneration and cell survival has drawn the attention of many researchers recently. More profound knowledge of the underlying mechanisms of immune-mediated tissue regeneration might ultimately lead to the development of novel strategies to suppress pathological immune responses and to promote regeneration of the nervous system in the aforementioned diseases.
In this Research Topic, we want to collect original research articles and reviews that focus on interactions of the immune system with the nervous system and translational consequences for the treatment of neurological disorders.
Authors should focus on one or more of the following topics:
• Is the modulation of the immune response a valid strategy to tackle neurological disorders?
• How do inflammatory microglia and astrocyte activity impact nervous system homeostasis during disease?
• How do peripheral immune cells interact with the nervous system in neurological disorders?
• What is the role of inflammatory and anti-inflammatory cytokines in neurological disorders?
• What is the role of the peripheral immune response versus the central nervous system immune response in neurological disorders?
• What is the role of the gut microbiome in neurological disorders?
Keywords: Neuroinflammation, Neurodegenerative Disorders, Cytokines, Pain, Neuroregeneration
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.