About this Research Topic
The ovary plays a very significant role in aging. The regenerative capacity of stem cells is the key factor to promote healthy aging, and the stem cell viability would decline sharply after the reproductive period, especially in women. Except for stem cell aging and neuroendocrine aging, ovarian aging is also a hotspot in the field of aging research. Recent researches have investigated many factors affecting ovarian function or aging, in terms of gene mutation, epigenetic erosion, endocrine dysfunction and environment-dependent extrinsic factors.
This Research Topic aims to explore in detail all the factors related to ovarian aging and female reproduction outcomes. We'll discuss various age-related molecules, such as P16, P21, etc., as well as mutations in premature aging genes, such as FSHR mutations, abnormalities in the mitochondrial respiratory chain, and redox imbalances that contribute to ovarian aging. Also, we are committed to addressing the relationship between female factors and reproductive outcomes. Besides, the discussion also focus on measures to delay ovarian aging, such as antioxidant drugs, mesenchymal stem cell therapy, ovarian tissue engineering exploration, etc.
1) This Research Topic aims to provide nursing suggestions related to ovarian aging and measures to prevent ovarian aging, including psychological intervention, improving living habits, optimizing the environment and other suggestions that may delay ovarian aging, and in turn to provide tips for clinical treatment.
2) This Research Topic aims to reveal the novel factors involved in ovarian aging and their related mechanisms, including function-related gene mutations, mitochondrial and oxidative stresses’ damage, metabolism-related molecules, and the specific mechanisms of these factors.
3) This Research Topic aims to discuss the influence of female-related factors on assisted reproductive outcome, such as female age, BMI, serum hormone level, endometrial preparation program, follicular fluid quality and other factors.
4) This Research Topic aims to explore the role of stem cells and tissue engineering in delaying ovarian aging, such as mesenchymal stem cell intravenous injection and the in situ ovarian tissue transplantation.
5) This Research Topic still involves in the research on anti-aging drugs for ovaries.
We are especially interested in the following themes in this Research Topic:
• Healthcare in ovarian aging
• Mitochondria and ovary aging
• Molecular mechanisms related to ovarian aging
• Female factors that affect reproductive outcomes
• Stem cell strategies for delaying ovarian aging or enhancing ovarian function
• Ovarian tissue engineering exploration and its clinical application in reproduction
• Research on anti-aging drugs for ovary
Keywords: ovarian aging, reproduction, stem cell, mitochondria, tissue engineering, drug
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.