About this Research Topic
In this research topic, we would like to invite researchers to submit articles on the effects of cold, heat and hypoxia on human health. The work can be focused on a specific environmental stressor (e.g. whole-body cryotherapy, infrared sauna, altitude training,…), or combined stressor (cold and heat, cold and hypoxia, with exercise,…) in a healthy or patient population.
We welcome scientists to submit manuscripts in the form of narrative reviews, systematic reviews, meta-analysis or meta-regressions, original articles, case studies, or commentaries/perspectives on this research topic.
Topics of interest include:
• Any kind of cold, heat or hypoxic stimulus on human health
• Studies in a healthy population or diseased population
• Cold, heat or hypoxia for disease prevention
• Cold, heat or hypoxia as a treatment for patients
• Practical applications of environmental stressors in a healthy and patient population
• Physiological mechanisms resulting from cold, heat and hypoxic treatments
• Combination of environmental stressors in healthy and diseased population
• Sex differences in the use of cold, heat and hypoxic treatments
• Safety during cold, heat and hypoxic stimuli
We strongly encourage the submission of manuscripts where physiological data are presented to unravel the potential mechanisms and effects of the environmental stressors.
Keywords: cold, heat, hypoxia, cryotherapy, exercise, health, disease prevention, treatment
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.