About this Research Topic
This Research Topic aims to publish original research and review articles that provide novel insights into the pathophysiology and treatment of GWI. Articles describing novel findings from animal prototypes and veterans with GWI on mechanisms underlying its pathophysiology and promising therapeutic approaches for alleviating brain dysfunction in GWI will be considered.
Both original research and review articles on the following areas are desired:
1) Animal models, human stem cell models and clinical studies reporting cellular and molecular changes underlying brain dysfunction in GWI, particularly those describing adverse alterations in the function of neurons, glia, immune cells, and microbiome contributing to brain dysfunction in GWI.
2) Reviews/perspectives on the altered course of brain aging and persistent neuroimmune alterations in veterans with GWI.
3) Results of promising blood and brain biomarker studies, innovative brain imaging studies and high throughput analyses in veterans with GWI predicting early onset of age-related neurodegenerative diseases.
4) Novel findings from preclinical studies that promise to improve brain function in veterans with GWI.
5) Review of ongoing clinical trials and their promise for improving brain function in GWI.
Keywords: Chemical exposures, Cognitive and memory dysfunction in GWI, Astrocyte changes in GWI, Mood impairments in GWI, Microbiota changes in GWI, Microglial alterations in GWI, Mitochondrial dysfunction, MRI imaging, Neuroinflammation in GWI, Veterans with Gulf War Illness
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.