About this Research Topic
Blockchain Technology unfolds its full potential together with other technologies and applied in real-world applications. The use of Blockchain technologies can provide transparency, integrity as well as traceability and will be hardly visible to the users in the future. The current research activities focus mainly on the Blockchain and distributed ledger technology itself or specific technological aspects and features. The application of this technology to real-world problems and therefore in the combination with other technologies has big potential. Unfortunately, most of the current published articles and papers in this area do not present a holistic approach.
Blockchain particularly has great potential to address challenges:
• In the management of the supply chain – using Cyber-Physical Systems to ensure trustworthy transactions and allow transacted goods to be tracked and traced along the chain (Projects: intelligent bins and pallets)
• Within energy contracting – the realization of a real energy eco-system with producers, consumers, and prosumers that negotiate real-time on prices, etc (Project: Quartierstrom – Pilot project for the energy trade of own consumption communities)
In this Research Topic, we welcome original research papers, review papers and position papers that address the novel use of blockchain technology for supply chain management and energy, in real-world applications or in combination with other technologies to provide innovative functionalities or features. Submissions should include empirical analysis of a proposed software application or infrastructure, alongside comparisons with existing approaches. Contributions that discuss economic, security and sustainability issues are particularly welcome.
Papers can be submitted, e.g. in the following areas within logistics, supply chain management, and energy.
Logistics and Supply Chain Management:
• Tool Management (along Supplier Networks for OEM)
• Supplier Integration
• Contract Management
• Demand & Capacity Planning
• Energy Contracting (incl. resource management and sale)
• (Wholesale) Electricity Distribution
• Peer-to-peer Energy Trading Networks (decentralized energy supply)
• Energy Data Management
• Utility Providers Management
Keywords: Supply Chain Management, Distributed Ledger, Cyber Physical Systems, Energy Contracting, Blockchain Technology
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.