About this Research Topic
Fundamental properties of neutrinos, such as the absolute mass and the CP phases beyond the Standard Model, are studied by double beta decays in nuclei. Astro (solar and supernova)-neutrino production and astro-neutrino nucleosynthesis are investigated by neutrino nuclear interactions and inverse beta-decays in nuclei. In these neutrino studies in nuclei, neutrino nuclear responses (square of nuclear matrix elements, i.e. NMEs) are crucial for investigating neutrino properties of particle- and astro-physics interests.
The present research area includes recent experimental and theoretical studies of the neutrino nuclear responses by means of: A) charge-exchange and other nuclear reactions, B) ordinary muon- capture reactions, C) nuclear weak decays and neutrino nuclear interactions, and D) various theoretical models such as pnQRPA, IBA, ISM, and others.
This Research Topic aims to review recent developments on experimental and theoretical studies of neutrino nuclear responses by means of various nuclear reactions, nuclear decays and nuclear models and to discuss basic questions to be solved and perspectives for future studies. The problems to be addressed are as follows:
1. Charge-exchange reactions in the medium momentum region associated with double beta decays (DBDs) and supernova neutrinos.
2. Double charge-exchange reactions for neutrino responses associated with DBDs.
3. Ordinary muon capture reactions for DBD and astro- anti-neutrino responses.
4. Nuclear weak decays, neutrino nuclear interactions and neutrino nuclear scatterings to study neutrino nuclear responses.
5. Theoretical studies of nuclear matrix elements for astro-neutrino nucleo-syntheses and DBDs by means of various nuclear models.
6. Quenching of axial-vector coupling for axial-vector nuclear responses in nuclei.
7. Nuclear reactions and nuclear models to be developed to study neutrino nuclear responses for DBDs and astro-neutrinos.
Specific themes of interest include, but are not limited to, the following list:
- Experimental and theoretical studies of neutrino nuclear responses for double beta decays (DBDs) and astro-neutrinos.
- Neutrino nuclear responses by charge-exchange and double-charge-exchange reactions.
- Nuclear matrix elements for DBDs and astro-neutrinos by pnQRPA, ISM, IBA, and other
- Neutrino nuclear responses for astro- anti-neutrinos and DBDs by muon capture reactions.
- Solar-neutrino and supernova-neutrino nuclear interactions and supernova-neutrino nucleosynthesis.
- Neutrino coherent scatterings and nuclear form factors.
- Nuclear scatterings for neutral-current nuclear responses.
- Quenching of axial-vector nuclear responses for DBDs and astro-neutrinos.
- Nuclear reactions and nuclear decays to study neutrino nuclear responses.
Keywords: neutrino nuclear response, astro-neutrinos, double beta decays, charge-exchange reactions, nuclear weak decays
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.