About this Research Topic
Natural medicinal resources including animal and herbal medicine are rich sources of numerous bioactive macromolecules, such as polysaccharide and polypeptide, with remarkable pharmacological activity including immunomodulatory and antitumor, hypolipidemic, anti-coagulant, anti-thrombotic, anti-viral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity. Meanwhile, bioactive macromolecules from natural medicinal resources are also promising lead compounds for modification and optimization, which has been considered as potential therapeutic drugs or adjuvants of clinical drugs showing an excellent opportunity for the pharmaceutical industry.
However, lots of macromolecules from natural medicinal resources with putative bioactivities and therapeutic properties remain untapped despite of the intense efforts of the scientific community. Systematic investigations of bioactive macromolecules using advanced technology offer multiple opportunities, including high-throughput screening and high-content screening in vivo or in vitro for rapid discovery of bioactive macromolecular lead compounds; mining potential pharmacological mechanisms of bioactive macromolecules using multi-omics techniques, such as metagenomics, metabolomics, transcriptomics and proteomics with post-translational modifications; novel structural modifications and structure-activity relationship to reveal novel bioactivities, novel targets and novel mechanisms of bioactive macromolecules from natural medicinal resources.
This Research Topic aims to uncover novel, unconventional, alternative, and original properties of macromolecules from natural medicinal resources with a distinctive emphasis on pharmacological activities as well as novel targets and novel mechanisms. Reviews of fundamental research and clinical application of bioactive macromolecules from natural medicinal resources and/or describing the state of art are welcome, considering the increasing role of bioactive macromolecules in potential clinical use.
We welcome specially Original Research and Reviews focusing on the following subtopics, but not limited to:
• Construction of high-throughput activity evaluation system in vivo or in vitro for rapid discovery of active biomacromolecular lead compounds and bioactive macromolecules with novel structure from natural medicinal resources, and their targeted preparation;
• Structural modifications and structure-activity relationship of bioactive macromolecules from natural medicinal resources;
• Mining potential pharmacological mechanisms of bioactive macromolecules from natural medicinal resources using multi-omics techniques;
• Discovery and confirmation of novel bioactivities, novel targets and novel mechanisms of bioactive macromolecules from natural medicinal resources;
• Clinical research of bioactive macromolecules from natural medicinal resources.
All the manuscripts submitted to this project will be peer-reviewed and need to fully comply with the Four Pillars of Best Practice in Ethnopharmacology (you can freely download the full version here).
Keywords: Biomacromolecules, Polysaccharide, Polypeptide, Pharmacological activity, Natural medicine
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.