About this Research Topic
The importance of personalized medicine in health care and the treatment of several diseases is now well documented. However, very little attention has been directed to the role of genetics in susceptibility or resistance to infectious diseases. Following the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 that affected millions of people around the globe, it was clear that the genetic background of the patient might influence disease prognosis as well as treatment. Accordingly, more than one genetic database has been established to enable precision medicine for COVID-19. The same applies to other viral and bacterial infections. This Research Topic is directed to discuss and highlight the impact of genetics on the different aspects of infectious diseases treatment and management. We accept reviews and original research articles pertaining to the described topic.
Personalized or Precision medicine is a relatively new approach to patient care that aims to apply the right intervention, at the right time, to the right patient. According to the GWAS Catalog statistics (OCT 2020), out of 4,761 publications, only 86 were related to infectious diseases (1.8%). Further, out of 213,519 associations, only 2,496 associations were IDs-related (1.1%). Accordingly, the main goal of this Research Topic is to raise awareness about the importance of genetics and personalized medicine in the managing and treatment of infectious diseases. This includes the design and development of new drugs, repurposing of already existing drugs to treat infection, using genetics to identify SNPs related to severity or resistance of disease, and any other related subjects.
Welcome Topics include but they are not limited to the following:
• Identifying genetics markers related to susceptibility or resistance to viral, bacterial, or fungal infections.
• Identifying biomarkers (metabolomics, proteomics and others) related to susceptibility or resistance to viral, bacterial, or fungal infections
• The role of whole-genome sequencing (WGS) in the implementation of personalized medicine and infectious disease management.
• Advances in genomics and computing to respond and treat infectious diseases.
• The study of pharmacogenomics and Rational drug for infectious diseases management
Keywords: Infectious diseases, Genetics, Genetic susceptibility, Viruses, SNPs
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.