About this Research Topic
Recent years witnessed an increasing number of dual-energy CT/spectral CT scanners installed and implemented in radiation oncology department. Dual-energy CT/spectral CT can provide material specific information by processing projection datasets of two or more different X-ray energy spectra, as well as synthesize virtual monoenergetic images with mitigated image artifacts and enhanced contrast-to-noise ratio. These features have been routinely utilized for diagnosis, and its success in radiology encourages its unique application for radiation therapy, including metal artifact reduction, normal tissue characterization, improved dose calculation, and functional imaging for target localization. Moreover, the introduction of proton therapy in the last decade also demands the implementation of dual-energy CT/spectral CT for its accurate proton stopping power ratio calculation.
With the recent development and application of dual-energy CT/spectral CT technology in radiation therapy, there have been increasing studies with new findings for better clinical utility. The scope of this topic will be the clinical experience, current progress and challenges of dual-energy CT/spectral CT in facilitating the workflow in radiation oncology. Potential topics include, but are not limit to:
- Clinical experience and/or protocol of using dual-energy CT/spectral CT for radiation therapy treatment planning
- Novel dual-energy CT/spectral CT scanners used in radiation oncology
- Metal artifact correction via dual-energy CT/spectral CT
- Tissue characterization via dual-energy CT/spectral CT
- Dose calculation via dual-energy CT/spectral CT
- Target localization and delineation on dual-energy CT/spectral CT
- Functional imaging via dual-energy CT/spectral CT
- Dual-energy CT/spectral CT in proton radiation therapy
- Novel dual-energy CT/spectral CT application in radiation oncology
- Novel dual-energy CT/spectral CT implementation and image reconstruction
The Topic Editors would like to thank Dr. Dong Han for their advisory role and contribution to the curation of this Research Topic.
Keywords: Spectral CT, Radiation Therapy, Dual energy/spectral CT, Radiation Oncology
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.