About this Research Topic
The question is, how does eXtended Reality alter the way we experience a Digital Twin? This Research Topic is interested in bringing to focus the various ways in which XR experiences can be used to visualize, interact and simulate DTs and also the associated challenges in aspects such as rendering, interaction and collaboration that result from having an XR environment.
Specifically, this Research Topic aims to explore the following questions:
• What advantages and disadvantages does an XR environment bring to the experience of a DT?
• What kinds of DTs are most appropriate to experience through XR?
• How do different interactions techniques, including the use of haptic systems and gestural interaction, affect the way the DT is used?
• What are the challenges in designing and developing XR experiences for DTs?
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
• Design methodologies for DT experiences in XR
• Applications that combine XR with DTs
• DT and Metaverse applications
• The role of augmentation in DT design and operation
• The combination of artificial intelligence, DTs, and XR
• Cases of XR developments to create more user-friendly DTs
• Data-driven DTs in XR
• Interaction techniques that use haptics, tangibles, embodied interactions for interacting with DTs
• Software libraries, toolkits, frameworks, authoring tools, for the development of XR experiences for DT
• Evaluation methodologies for XR experiences for DTs
Keywords: digital twins, extended reality, augmented reality, mixed reality, virtual reality
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.