About this Research Topic
In this Research Topic, we encourage researchers to describe the state of the art and the main challenges in identifying the molecular pathways and associated risk factors leading to NDDs. We also welcome contributions that look into the future and define the directions that the field will take in the coming years. We encourage authors to contribute with original research or review articles. However, other article types such as perspectives and methods are welcomed. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
• Identification of common molecular mechanisms, from different genetic determinants and how they lead to core deficits observed in NDDs.
• Molecular and cellular functions of genetic factors associated with NDDs.
• Synergistic actions of genetic risk factors and how they contribute to cellular and molecular phenotypes.
• Neuro-glia interactions and how these are altered in NDDs.
• Impact of environmental factors such as infections, stress or drug abuse on cellular and molecular phenotypes associated with NDDs.
• Interaction between genetic and environmental risk factors leading to NDDs.
• Sex differences or sex specific cellular and molecular phenotypes associated with NDDs.
• Newly identified molecular mechanisms and drug targets to aid or prevent NDDs.
We are also happy to accept studies using rodent, primary cell or induced pluripotent stem cell models to further our understanding of NDDs.
Keywords: Autism, Treatments, Therapeutics, Molecular Signalling, Molecular Pathways
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.