About this Research Topic
This Research Topic will investigate the links between AF and dementia with a particular focus on the pathophysiology. This could include the role of AF leading to silent aortic rupture as an embolic source or other stroke events which may play a role in tissue ischemia and the development of dementia. Similarly, the impact of pharmacological treatment of AF in the development of dementia will be investigated. Led by an international team of experts, the editors invite all manuscript types which align with the scope of this topic.
Sub-themes may include, but are not limited to:
1) The effect of AF on the risk of AF.
2) The use of anticoagulants in treatment of AF and subsequent impact on cerebral bleeds and dementia.
3) Investigate the association of a rhythm-control strategy for AF with the risk of dementia, compared with a rate-control strategy.
4) The reduction of dementia with AF treatment: anticoagulation, ablation, early rhythm control.
5) Epidemiology of AF related dementia.
Keywords: dementia, atrial fibrillation, stroke, epidemiology
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.