About this Research Topic
This Research Topic is dedicated to reporting the advances in biomass and carbon stocks estimation, monitoring, verification and management in Northern Hemisphere temperate and boreal forest ecosystems for enhancing knowledge pertaining to the Sustainable Development Goals. It provides an opportunity for publishing forest ecosystem biomass and carbon stock models and products at different scales, mapping and monitoring methods from the multi-source datasets, verification means and uncertainty analysis for various products, and forest management technology considering carbon storage.
In this Research Topic, well-prepared submissions that cover one or more of the following topics are very welcome:
• Development of biomass and carbon stock models for the main species or forest types in various temperate and boreal forests.
• Analysis of carbon content of aboveground and belowground components in temperate and boreal forest ecosystems.
• Simulation of tree growth and estimation of carbon sink potential under climate change.
• Biomass and soil carbon stocks (belowground, litter and mineral soil compartments), their changes and uncertainty estimates in different forest types.
• Advanced forest biomass and carbon stock mapping and monitoring methods using various platforms and remote sensing data.
• Sustainable forest management considering carbon storage.
Keywords: Boreal forests, temperate forests, biomass, carbon stock, forest modelling, forest growth, forest management, multi-object management, remote sensing, environmental monitoring
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.