About this Research Topic
This Research Topic aims to explore the relationship between endometriosis and infertility and discuss potential prevention or treatment strategies. It mainly focuses on three important aspects, including the pathogenesis of endometriosis, its effect on fertility, and the treatment of endometriosis-related infertility. The results of this topic will provide a valuable theoretical basis and potential exploration direction for improving the fertility of patients with endometriosis.
We are interested in receiving original research articles, case reports, systematic reviews, and meta-analyses in the field of basic, translational, and clinical research. Potential themes include, but are by no means limited to:
• Discussion and related frontier exploration of etiological theories of endometriosis, including but not limited to retrograde menstruation into the pelvic cavity, coelomic metaplasia, immune factors, stem cells, and genetics.
• Potential effects of endometriosis on fertility, including but not limited to effects on ovarian function and gamete quality, tubal function and embryo transport, intrauterine environment and embryo implantation.
• Treatments for infertility associated with endometriosis, including but not limited to gynecological laparoscopic surgery, assisted reproductive technology, immunotherapy, etc.
• Discussion on the treatment of endometriomas in gynecological surgery: Should we actively use surgery to solve diminished ovarian reserve caused by endometriosis or palliative treatment to avoid thermal/mechanical damage to ovarian function caused by gynecological surgery?
• Due to the high treatment cost of laparoscopic surgery, the true prevalence of endometriosis in women of childbearing age and the discussions of missed diagnosis and misdiagnosis as well as the possibility of delay in infertility treatment are welcome.
• Potential effects of large doses of estrogen and progesterone in assisted reproductive technology treatment of infertility on malignant transformation of endometriosis.
Keywords: female fertility, endometriosis, treatments, assisted reproductive technology, gynecological laparoscopic surgery, endometriomas
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.