About this Research Topic
Owing to the dichotomous character of digitalization and the related mental health consequences, this Research Topic deals with both negative consequences (e.g. social exclusion, overload, and stress due to new possibilities arising through digitalization, work environments invading the private sphere) and positives ones (e.g. digital health apps, digital assistance from health care professionals). The implementation of digital developments as well as their innovative potential should be carefully evaluated from both sides and must take ethical considerations into account.
This Research Topic aims to provide insight into a phenomenon that is not itself new but which has accelerated enormously during the pandemic. We specifically encourage submissions addressing the following aspects:
• human rights and values against the background of digital developments
• positive and negative mental health consequences of digitalization
• public (mental) health aspects of the use of mass digitalization
• ethical, legal, and social implications and consequences of digital developments
• changes in work environments and their impact on mental health
• impact of assisting digitalized instruments cognitive and other abilities
• the nature of device-user interactions.
Keywords: digitization, mental health, ethics, neuroethics
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.