About this Research Topic
Anesthetic oncology is a rapidly emerging field discussing the effect of anesthetics on cancer behavior and associated patient outcome. The possibility that anesthetic agents, delivered in association with the specific anesthetic techniques, may influence the risk of cancer recurrence and is of widespread importance to patients and the clinicians who care for them. The number of cancer cases increased by over 25% globally between 2008 and 2018, and nearly two-thirds of patients diagnosed with cancer will undergo anesthesia and surgery for intended cure or palliation as first-line treatment. Thus, effects of anesthesia on cancer recurrence could have wide-ranging impact on population health.
In addition to immunomodulation, various anesthetic-involved mechanisms were also proposed to affect cancer recurrence. To enhance recovery after surgery, intravenously infused lidocaine has recently been introduced as one of the strategies perioperatively, which expands the application of local anesthetics beyond regional anesthesia and further increases the lidocaine serum level to which the tumor exposed at clinically relevant doses. Amongst the mysteries about the effects of various anesthetic agents on cancer outcome, the impact of intravenously infused lidocaine on oncologic surgeries is yet to determine.
The aim of the current Research Topic is to cover promising, recent, and novel research trends in the field of anesthetic oncology, which will address the effects of anesthetic drugs in association with specific anesthetic techniques on cancer outcome. We welcome human and laboratory studies, as well as the pre-clinical and clinical data analysis to optimize cancer outcome in terms of anesthetic oncology. We would like to call for Original Research, Reviews and Mini Reviews that will stimulate continuing efforts to develop a better choice or deliver comprehensive knowledge. We also welcome Brief Research Report, Data Report, Case Report, Clinical Trial, Hypothesis and Theory, Methods, General Commentary, Opinion, Perspective, Specialty Grand Challenge, and Technology and Code. Areas to be covered in this Research Topic may include, but are not limited to:
• Addressing the association, mechanism, or causal-effects of anesthetic agents and oncologic outcomes using pre-clinical, animal, and human data.
• Clinical data of the effects of anesthetics on cancer behaviors and outcomes.
• Pre-clinical or clinical studies addressing the mechanisms of adjuvant drugs administered during anesthesia in cancer metastasis or tumor growth
• Investigation of local anesthetics (Lidocaine or others) at clinically relevant concentrations on cancer behaviors and/or outcomes
• Clinical implication for practice in anesthesia and cancer outcome
• Real world data for anesthesia and cancer recurrence
• Randomized controlled trials for anesthesia and cancer outcome
Keywords: Anesthetics, Cancer recurrence, Clinical implication, Real world data, Lidocaine
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.