About this Research Topic
Pain and addiction are inter-related conditions with large and individually variable placebo effect on disease progression and response to treatments.
The ultimate goal of this conference is to provide a platform that will catalyze development of holistic and adequate strategies for better management and treatment of these conditions.
Specifically, the conference and the associated Research Topic aims to:
• expand the knowledge of placebo responsiveness,
• facilitate collaborations and synthesize new approaches in research and treatment
• enhance the empirical, conceptual and ethical understanding of the placebo effect among academic researchers, health care professionals, as well as external stakeholders.
This Research Topic will be limited to original research articles, and cover the following topics:
• Predictability of placebo responses
• Placebo and nocebo effects in pain disorders
• Placebo and nocebo effects in alcohol and other substance use disorders and comorbid conditions
• Molecular mechanisms of placebo response
• Ethical considerations in conducting placebo research
• Translational opportunities for placebo research
Keywords: Placebo, Pain, Addiction, Alcohol, Drug
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.