About this Research Topic
The research on the high-value utilization of marine biological resources has become an important hotspot in the field of global marine biology, food science, medical science and other fields. Since the 1990s, many countries have launched marine biotechnology programs, including the development of bioactive substances and marine drugs. More than 15000 new compounds have been isolated from marine animals, plants and microorganisms all over the world, and new marine drugs and marine functional health food have been developed and obtained. Modern biotechnology, including genetic engineering, enzyme engineering and microbial engineering, is the most rapidly developing technology. It has become a necessary means of high-value development of marine bioresources and will play a more and more important role.
In recent years, the research on marine microorganisms and their metabolites has developed rapidly. The high-value development of marine biological resources needs to be based on advanced marine bioengineering technology. Therefore, the exploration of new genes, new enzymes and special environmental microbial material sources from the ocean has become the key to high-value technology. Secondly, marine biotechnology also realizes the effective extraction and transformation of marine functional components such as active peptide, functional lipid, marine polysaccharide and small molecular functional components. Thirdly, improving the nutrition and quality of marine food and extending the shelf life and marine food also need the support of biotechnology, such as biological preservation technology, food fermentation technology, etc. At last, novel techniques including serological reaction technique and enzyme technique need to be developed for the safety control and detection of marine food.
Original Research articles and reviews based on bioengineering technology, including but not limited to the following scope:
• The exploration of marine new enzyme species and microbial resources related to high-value development of marine bioresource, and how the enzyme/strain can be applied in the field of high-value development;
• Preparation and functional evaluation of marine functional peptides by directed enzymatic hydrolysis;
• Efficient extraction and degradation of marine polysaccharides and oligosaccharides;
• Extraction and biotransformation of marine active lipids;
• Biological preparation technology of marine small molecular functional components;
• Processing technologies helpful for the nutrition, flavor and quality improvement of marine food;
• Biological preservation and quality control technology of marine food;
• Bioengineering technology applied in the detection and evaluation of marine food risk factors.
Keywords: Biotechnology, Enzyme engineering, Functional components, Active peptide, Functional lipid, Marine polysaccharide, High-value development, Marine bioresource
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.