About this Research Topic
The goal of this Research Topic is to showcase multi-professional research that aims to reduce or prevent mortality and / or morbidity among mothers and babies in the perinatal period. Some of the potential questions to be answered include, but are not limited to the following:
• What are the effects of COVID-19 on perinatal health and how do we overcome the consequences, and prepare for the next pandemic?
• Has maternal and neonatal nutrition been adequately handled during the COVID-19 pandemic?
• Does maternal and perinatal infection receive adequate research attention?
• Has there been new impactful development in vaginal and abdominal modes of delivery?
• Is postnatal depression being adequately managed?
• What are the latest measures to reduce maternal and neonatal deaths?
• How do we reduce the incidence and improve outcomes of preterm births?
• Is there any new research on perinatal asphyxia prevention and treatment?
• What perinatal innovations have taken place in the diagnosis, monitoring or treatment of medical disorders of pregnancy such as anemia, preeclampsia and diabetes mellitus?
• What innovations have taken place to resuscitate and stabilize neonates?
• Is there new research on fetal surgery and interventions?
• What ethical dilemmas have been faced with perinatal innovations and new interventions?
The scope of this Research Topic includes:
• Maternal, Perinatal and Neonatal Mortality and Morbidity (physical and mental);
o Magnitude and causes.
o Evidence-based interventions, programs or policy design to eliminate preventable deaths or reduce morbidities.
o Quality perinatal networking, telehealth across regions.
o Ethical issues
• Screening and early detection in perinatal care;
o A `one-size-fits-all’ or customized screening programs for genetic or other conditions.
o Challenges of online antenatal care and infant monitoring programs.
o Antenatal risk assessments for non-communicable diseases.
• Maternal, perinatal and neonatal nutrition;
o Nutritional needs throughout reproductive years and its subsequent effects.
o Fetal and neonatal growth
• Perinatal resuscitation, rescue and emergency strategies;
o Rescue strategies, resuscitation, transportation, emergency obstetric or neonatal triaging and referral systems.
• Perinatal science, innovations and technology advancement in improving outcomes;
o Leadership, training and education in obstetrics & neonatology.
o Neonatal organ and tissue donation services.
o Fetal surgery and innovative neonatal surgical interventions.
o Innovative perinatal monitoring systems.
The research topic provides ongoing publication in partnership 28th Annual Regional Congress of the Perinatal Society of Malaysia (PSM) & 21st Federation of Asia and Oceania Perinatal Societies (FAOPS) held in August 2022
Keywords: perinatal, prevention, mortality, morbidity, COVID-19, new normal
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.