About this Research Topic
We are in a moment of transition from the use of analogue materials to digital tools (platforms, applications, gadgets, tablets, mobiles, etc.) and advanced technology formats (immersive realities and artificial intelligence). This is a moment of technological transformation in which the benefits of new technologies in learning are beginning to be investigated both in interventions with grouping in individual perspective or in an interactive and collaborative perspective among equals. It also coincides with the development of neuroscience and psychology applied to Education. This research topic aims to contribute to deepen this topic and provide a global vision. It also intends to indicate to what extent the development of the cognitive is relevant, as well as to extend the variables that must be considered.
This Research Topic aims at collecting research about the benefits of cognitive skills and other variables due to new technologies applied to education from various paradigms and disciplines at all levels. Hence, among the research questions we stablish the following:
1. What creativity variables such as flexibility, fluency, originality, imagination, etc. benefit most from the use of new technologies applied to learning?
2. How memory and types of memory (working memory, semantic memory, episodic memory, etc.) are discovered to be benefited by the use of new technologies applied to learning?
3. How does critical thinking benefit and in what way when new technologies are applied to learning?
4. Is there more cognitive benefit if the technologies applied to education are used if they are combined with other analogue approaches or when they are only applied alone?
5. Is there more cognitive benefit if the technologies applied to education are used in interventions in which they are considered with the improvement of other affective variables?
6. Is there more cognitive benefit if the technologies applied to education are used in interventions in which they are proposed with the improvement of other attitudinal variables?
Some of the research questions formulated previously have already been studied or are a natural evolution of previous studies. However, more research is needed to extend the knowledge that has been achieved about the cognitive benefits thanks to the use of new technologies applied to learning in an educational context.
We encourage participation through various types of articles that present original research. Proposals should consist of empirical/experimental as well as theoretical studies. Topics of interest for this research topic include, among others, the following:
- Multidisciplinary approaches
- Interdisciplinary approaches
- Innovative approaches
- Reflexive capacity, logic reasoning, etc.
- Understanding and deep understanding
- Research abilities
- Plot construction
- Metacognitive skills
- Autonomy of thought
- Problem solving
- Processing speed
- Decision making
- Attention (sustained attention, selective attention, etc.)
- Reading and writing comprehension
- Mathematical Reasoning Skills
Keywords: Cognitive, Education, technologies, learning, skills
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.