Research Topic

Meningioma: From Basic Research to Clinical Translational Study

About this Research Topic

Meningiomas are thought to arise from the meningeal coverings of the brain and the spinal cord. They are classified into three WHO grades and 15 histological subtypes. Nearly 80% of meningiomas are benign, corresponding to WHO grade I, such as meningothelial and fibroblastic subtypes, while the remaining 20% ...

Meningiomas are thought to arise from the meningeal coverings of the brain and the spinal cord. They are classified into three WHO grades and 15 histological subtypes. Nearly 80% of meningiomas are benign, corresponding to WHO grade I, such as meningothelial and fibroblastic subtypes, while the remaining 20% are malignant, belonging to WHO grade II (such as atypical subtypes) and WHO grade III (such as anaplastic subtypes). A small portion of benign meningiomas may recur after surgery, and even progress into malignant meningiomas. Malignant meningiomas are characterized by aggressive growth, high mitotic figures, preferred invasion into surrounding tissues, recurrence after surgical resection, and short disease-specific survival. The clinical outcome strongly depends on the WHO grade: patients with benign meningiomas have five-year survival rates of 92%. 5-year survival decreases in atypical meningiomas to 78%, and in patients with WHO III meningiomas survival rates drop down to 47%. Thus, effective treatment for malignant meningiomas is still difficult. Recent studies revealed several genetic alterations in meningiomas including NF2, TRAF7, AKT1, SMO, KLF4, POLR2A, PIK3CA, and TERT promoter mutations. The identification of these mutations has led to the investigation of inhibitors targeting proteins such as AKT1, SMO, mTOR, and FAK. Several clinical trials investigating meningioma treatment are currently underway (NCT02523014; NCT03071874; NCT02831257; EORTC-1320).

This Research Topic will discuss the recent advances in meningioma research. Original research or Review articles focusing on genetics, molecular oncology, imaging, surgery, or pathology are welcome. Topics include but are not limited to:

1) Current trends or concerns on genetic mutations in meningioma;
2) Meningioma cell line or meningioma stem cells in situ studies;
3) Signaling pathways relative to meningioma pathogenesis;
4) Biomarkers or molecular targets for meningioma diagnosis and therapy;
5) Imaging techniques used for meningioma preoperative differentiation and intraoperative monitoring;
6) Surgical intervention for meningioma.

The cover image is courtesy of and copyrighted by Wenya Linda Bi, MD, PhD


Keywords: genetics, molecular, imaging, surgery, pathology, meningioma


Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.

Recent Articles

Loading..

About Frontiers Research Topics

With their unique mixes of varied contributions from Original Research to Review Articles, Research Topics unify the most influential researchers, the latest key findings and historical advances in a hot research area! Find out more on how to host your own Frontiers Research Topic or contribute to one as an author.

Topic Editors

Loading..

Submission Deadlines

01 June 2020 Manuscript

Participating Journals

Manuscripts can be submitted to this Research Topic via the following journals:

Loading..

Topic Editors

Loading..

Submission Deadlines

01 June 2020 Manuscript

Participating Journals

Manuscripts can be submitted to this Research Topic via the following journals:

Loading..
Loading..

total views article views article downloads topic views

}
 
Top countries
Top referring sites
Loading..