About this Research Topic
Many factors are influencing eating behavior. In addition to individual factors such as age, gender, education level, income level, and nutritional literacy, the food environment will also affect the formation and development of eating behavior. The food environment is defined as a series of factors and conditions that affect people's food and beverage choices, such as physical, economic, policy, social and cultural environment.
Globally, a growing body of evidence has drawn attention to the associations between food environment and eating behavior. However, some results of studies have been inconsistent, with associations for the same type of relationship being positive, negative, or nonexistent. More evidence is needed to elucidate how the food environment affects human eating behavior. It will help us to further understand the environmental aspects of healthy and unhealthy eating.
This Research Topic aims to provide a broad forum to explore novel research exploring the advanced methods of food environment evaluation, the association between food environment and eating behavior, and the influencing factors of the food environment, especially to explore the role of the food environment in different countries and regions. In addition to the cross-sectional studies commonly used in this field, cohort studies and intervention studies are also welcome.
In this Research Topic, we would like to highlight the latest research on the food environment. We invite the submission of original research, systematic literature reviews, and meta-analyses. We welcome contributions covering but not limited to any of the following sub-themes:
• Advanced methods of food environment evaluation, including the evaluation of the family food environment, neighborhood food environment, food information environment, and food policy, etc.;
• Comparison of the food environment in different regions;
• Association between food environment and eating behavior;
• Association between food environment and health status;
• Influencing factors of food environment;
• Interventional research on food environment.
• Comparison in how the communalities affect food consumption such as Socio-Economic status as well as how differences in culture and cuisines are relevant.
Keywords: Family food environment, Neighborhood food environment, Socioeconomic status, Food information environment, Food policy, Eating behavior
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.