About this Research Topic
It is now our task to understand the molecular principles behind the complex interaction of microbes in, on and around us in order to optimize and control the function of the microbial community – by changing the environment or the addition of the right microorganisms.
This research topic focuses on studies (including e.g. original research, perspectives, minireviews, commentaries and opinion papers) that investigate and discuss:
1) The role of the microbiome for the host/environmental system
2) The exchange and change of microbes and microbial communities (interplay)
3) The influence of external factors toward the stability of a microbiome
4) Methods, possibilities and approaches to change and control a system’s microbiome (e.g. in human or plant disease)
5) Experimental systems and approaches in microbiome research
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.