About this Research Topic
The relationship between nutrition and the quality of life of the elderly population and healthy aging will be covered in this research topic. Furthermore, we aim to bring together articles regarding the mechanisms leading to nutrition-related metabolic diseases, nutritional status in the elderly and their health impairment, nutritional influence in the therapy and recovery from diseases in old age.
We welcome studies (reviews, original research, metanalyses) on, but not limited to, the following topics:
- Nutritional risk, nutritional deficiencies and quality of life in the elderly.
- Alterations of the circadian regulation of the elderly system upon following diets/eating patterns.
- Postprandial effects of diets/eating patterns on the immune system regulation.
- The effect of diets/eating patterns on the immune system in the context of metabolic diseases.
- The effect of diets/eating patterns on cancer.
- The effect of diets/eating patterns on cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and hypertension.
- Diets/eating patterns and modulation of immune-gut microbiota interplay.
- Sarcopenia (mechanisms and therapy).
- Osteoporosis (mechanisms and therapy).
- Neurodegenerative diseases and dementia.
Keywords: Diet, immune system regulation, microbiota, metabolic diseases, cancer, sarcopenia, osteoporosis
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.