About this Research Topic
The penetration of renewable energy based power generation is increasing due to its tremendous potential to supply large power demand, its enormous availability, the exhaustion of coal reserves and the strive for sustainable development. The integration of renewable energy sources to the grid with power electronic converters plays an important role in its increasing penetration. With this motivation, the development of high efficiency converters/inverters and multilevel inverters (MLI) that are suitable for renewable energy resources has become essential. Multilevel inverters provide solutions for basic level inverters such as for harmonic distortion, magnetic interference and high dv/dt in high power voltage applications. Furthermore, topics such as control strategies, modulation techniques, fault tolerance, efficiency enhancement and optimization techniques for multilevel inverters have become more important with regard to industrial applications and storage systems. Therefore, we encourage all researchers working in these fields to submit articles to this Research Topic.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
• Conventional multi-level inverter topologies
• Multilevel inverter for low/medium- and high-voltage applications.
• Multilevel inverters for renewable energy sources (photovoltaic, wind energy and fuel-cells);
• Recent advances in multilevel inverters
• Power control and quality management
• Multilevel inverters for high-power electric vehicle battery chargers;
• Optimization technologies for multilevel inverter topologies
• Emerging modulation techniques
• Fault-tolerant multilevel converters.
• Advanced control methods of grid integration by multilevel inverters
• Multilevel converters for high-voltage alternating current (HVAC) applications.
• Multilevel converters synthesis for high-voltage direct current (HVDC) applications.
• EMI mitigation techniques in multilevel power converters.
• Chaos control methods in multilevel converter/inverter topologies.
Keywords: multilevel inverters, control techniques, inverters, renewable energy systems
Important Note: All contributions to this Research Topic must be within the scope of the section and journal to which they are submitted, as defined in their mission statements. Frontiers reserves the right to guide an out-of-scope manuscript to a more suitable section or journal at any stage of peer review.